Last Updated on by
The .22 caliber pistol is among the most commonly used pistols. There are a variety of reasons for the pistol’s unmatched popularity. It is common and cheap and therefore, perfect for new shooters to use. When it comes to target practice, these pistols are used because they are comparatively cheaper than their .45 and .40 counterparts. This article sums up a list of some of the best 22 pistol in the current market. Apart from that, I will also discuss the factors that mark the difference between a standard pistol and the best .22 pistol for you.
Best 22 Pistol Reviews
The Crosman is an ideal gun if you wish to use a .22 caliber pistol for target practice. Once you get accustomed to using this gun, it would be difficult for you to try anything else. The gun has a number of little details that lend it a distinct advantage in the market. Read on to find out.
- Single shot bolt action
- Co2 powered
- Laser mount option available
- The first thing I noticed on holding this gun is that it is ambidextrous. This means that while I may be a right handed shooter using this gun, even a southpaw will be easily able to use it. There is thumb rests on both sides of the grip to facilitate such an option. I was impressed by the small details that they put into the gun.
- The barrel of the pistol is easily detachable, and I used barrels of various lengths quite effortlessly. The longer barrels I noted had better accuracy and muzzle speed than their shorter counterparts. Therefore, the barrel in use could easily be changed concerning the target in question.
- The accuracy of the pistol genuinely surprised me as I really did not expect a pistol powered by CO2 to hit this hard. I could easily shoot targets at a distance of 25 yards using the Crosman.
- The efficient designing of the model ensured that I could shoot for a whole day on a single CO2 cartridge. This makes the pistol extremely cost effective and therefore easy on the pocket.
- I even could perform quite a few mods on the pistol relatively easily with varying states of success. The upgrades and mods are quite important for anyone who wishes to customize the gun according to his/her wishes. There is, however, no need to actually perform mods on the pistol as the Crosman can perform well on its own too.
- Extremely good accuracy rate and high power
- Ambidextrous, thus allowing for greater flexibility
- Nothing really
The Crosman is a great pistol to use for target practice. Out of the box, the build quality of the pistol lends to it a premium look and feel. And the quality materials also ensure that you would not really need any modifications at all. The durability of the pistol is also unmatched.
Benjamin has always had a tradition of creating near perfect air pistols. The Marauder PCP is no exception in this regard. The pistol is the culmination of the best features that the Marauder and the Discovery air rifles have to offer. As a result it is quiet, accurate and deadly.
- Adjustable trigger
- Bolt action
- Circular magazine with indexing
- In-built pressure gauge
- No open sights
- The Marauder PCP seeks to impress with its numerous features and unbelievable performance. The first time I used the gun, I was shocked by how smooth the trigger control was. The shock absorption was superb, and the only sound that came upon firing the gun could be compared to a light cough.
- The shoulder stock which is included in the pack is an added attraction. While most of the pistols that I have used have only one form of grip, the Marauder PCP has two. On attaching the shoulder stock, I found out that my grip had increased exponentially and I could shoot more comfortably.
- There are many air pistols that I have tried during this review and the most common similarity among them has always been the fact that all of them are for target practice predominantly. The Marauder PCP differs in this regard. Superior muzzle velocity and accuracy dictate that it can also be used to hunt small games.
- Extremely quiet as a firearm
- Superior accuracy
- Adjustable trigger
- Multi-shot magazines are enabling follow up shots.
- No open sights, you would, therefore, need to use a laser mount
- Big in terms of size
The Marauder PCP feels nothing at all like an air pistol. The feel you get while using it is more akin to that of a professional weapon. The numerous features including the adjustable triggers, power shots and multi-shot magazines- all bear testimony to the superiority of the Marauder PCP over every gun in the genre. This is by far the best 22 pistol you can lay your hands on.
When it comes to .22 Caliber Air Pistols, the Webley Typhoon is a legendary name. Though available in two versions – .177 and .22, the gun with a semi-recoilless spring piston is a great air gun. Built on the model of the erstwhile Hurricane, the Webley Typhoon seeks to impress with its sleek look and unmatched performance.
- Adjustable rear side
- Adjustable trigger
- Extra rail to attach laser mount
- Steel barrel
- Semi-recoil free shooting
- The first thing that I noticed on holding the pistol is its design. The design is extremely classic and modern, a refreshing taken on the antique look of the Hurricane.
- Among the features that make the pistol such a unique choice is its perfectly placed grip. While I was using the pistol, the grip felt small in my hand. However, the grip is ample to deal with the torque that the gun has when it fires. The semi-recoilless feature of the gun amply tackles and balances the gun. The grip is made from matte plastic. The plastic has a premium feel to it though and can compete with most guns in terms of functionality
- Almost all the parts of the pistol can be customized and adjusted. The rear side, the trigger can be adjusted as per requirements. While using the pistol, I found the trigger to be a bit too stiff to for comfort. However, after adjusting it, it worked comfortably.
- The gun is a tad too heavy for me. While it does not really make carrying it about a big bother, the weight factor comes into play when firing the gun. The weight of the gun made it extremely difficult for me to fire. Add to that the vibration and this makes the gun difficult to use.
- The automatic safety feature of the pistol is an extremely useful feature, and there is also a synthetic cocking assist. The assist is a great help while stabilizing the gun while firing
- Quality for money. The build quality of the pistol is great and given a few tweaking even the performance is unmatched.
- The semi-recoilless feature allows a subdued vibration, thus reducing the torque and trigger pull back.
- The gun is extremely silent.
- The weight is inconsistently high for a gun in the .22 category.
- The power of the gun gets weaker over subsequent use.
The Webley Typhoon is a quiet, powerful and capable gun. While it may not be the top 22 pistol in the business, it is perfect for those on a budget. The pistol has an extremely modern design, and a premium feel about it. This makes it defy its price tag. In terms of performance, the Webley Typhoon does fall short of the desired parameters expected of it. Though the pistol is far from being the best in its category, it has the capability to be one.
The Crosman as the name suggests, is known for its classic look and performance. The sleek design, the single-action bolt, and the easy loading- all make it one of the best .22 pistols in the market. Among the many features that make it a customer favorite is the variable pump power.
- Velocity: 460 Pellet
- Shoots .22 caliber bullets
- Single shot bolt-action
- Variable pump power
- Adjustable rear sight
- The Crosman is among the most popular .22 guns in the market right now and with good reason. Made from reinforced polymer the pistol is extremely durable and sturdy. The grip felt good in my hand and is sized perfectly to comfortably hold on to the gun after each shot.
- The pistol also has a single-action bolt design which made it easier for me while loading the gun. While firing, I also noticed that the barrel is shaped in accordance with that of a rifle’s. This allows the vibration after each shot to be easily distributed among the gun, and therefore, there is minimal kickback from the shot.
- Initially, I had some problems affixing my targets through the peeps. However, I found out that the rear peep of the pistol can be adjusted according to my preferences.
- Another impressive feature of the pistol is the variable pump control. My twelve-year-old daughter had wanted to use the gun for target practice. Naturally, I was worried that she might hurt herself. The variable pump control feature came to my rescue. Using it, I could control the velocity the pellet shoots out at. This allowed me to adjust the speed as per the user and the target.
- While some people may have a thing for open sight, I always found mounts to be a tad more comfortable. The Crosman is compatible with mounts like the 459MT. I had initially bought a mount and found shooting to be really helpful. There are also options available for dot sights and laser mounts
- Upon using it over a long period of time, I found that the plastic build of the pistol is not really helpful. In fact, it is easier to phase out these parts and replace them with metal equivalents. While it may contribute significantly to the weight of the pistol, it will surely help boost performance.
- Great value for money
- They power of the gun is unmatched in its price range
- The variable pump control
- Plastic body of the pistol may require mods
Among the many pistols that could claim to be the best 22lr pistol in the market, the Crosman sure is a strong competitor. The unmatched performance and the great value for money along with the superior build quality- all allow the product to be a hot customer favourite.
There has been a growing tendency among manufacturers to fall back on the classic American model. The ISSC M-22 in this regard is an amalgamation of style, shape, and feel of the good old American pistol. All this while making performance an absolute necessity.
- Manual trigger safety
- Textured pistol grip
- Block back action and full metal slide
- Adjustable rear sight
Here is a wonderfully review by Replica Airguns
- The ISSC is an extremely feature-rich choice. Features like drop free magazines and trigger safety ensured that I could practice effortlessly in my backyard and even in my garage. This obviously saved a considerable amount of money I would have to spend if I went to the range.
- In terms of maintaining accuracy, the ISSC is quite efficient. Though I did initially face some problems aiming using this gun, the adjustable rear sight helped me tackle the issue.
- The trigger release is not the finest performance that you may get in a .22 gun in this segment. However, with due time, it does get better. Initially, I had found the trigger to be a tad too tense. But upon subsequent use, the issue was sorted out, and the gun provided flawless performance.
- I was certainly impressed by the build quality of the pistol. Unlike most other guns in this segment, the ISSC is made from equal parts of plastic and metal. The gun felt good in my hand, and there is a certain gravity about it. The weight is also optimal without being overbearing.
- Blowback operation with single action trigger
- The rear sight is adjustable
- Metal magazine
- Cannot be stripped easily
The ISSC is a capable .22 gun and certainly among the best22 pistols in the market. It is of good build and provides great value for money. The ISSC sure does seem to be a very capable gun when you consider all the features that it has. This gun certainly deserves a hearty recommendation from my side.
Why Should Use a .22 Airsoft Pistol
Firstly, the .22 caliber is the cheapest of all the firearms you can possess. Given the fact that you may go for long hours of shooting, the .22 ensures that you won’t burn a hole in your pocket while going about your target practice.
Secondly, the .22 makes a great choice for party games like shooting balloons. It is relatively safer to use, and the risk of injury is not very high.
Thirdly, in what may give you a sort of perverse pleasure. The .22 airsoft pistol can be used to shoot down rodents and other pests that may plague your house. All for good target practice.
Fourthly, everyone can be reassured with a better sense of self-defence. The .22 is light enough to be carried around and also a potentially great weapon to use when in trouble.
How to Choose a Best .22 Pistol (Airsoft)?
While there are a lot of factors that dictate how you could choose the .22 pistol. Here are some helpful pointers that you might consider while choosing your pistol.
- Size matters. The basic logic behind investing in a .22 pistol would be ease of use. A larger size would mean that you would not be able to carry around your pistol easily.
- Gun recoil and shock absorption
- Adjustable parts and mounts
- Accuracy range and power
- Value for money
A firearm, especially like the .22 pistol, could have a lot of applications. It could be used for target practice and even for improve hunting style or hunting small games. The wide range of application thus makes the choice a complex one. It is, therefore, important for you to make an informed choice while investing in a pistol. Given the wide range of products available in the segment, there is certainly something to suit your need.