Rat Poison – Impact and Details Analysis

Rat and mice or the rodent family are one of the most menacing pests to trouble households. Not only do they harm the nearby surroundings and spread infections they even eat up your grains and other food items.

While a mouse is supposedly small with an average length of 3- 10 cm the rat is longer, thicker and has a tail which is shorter than the length of the body. Rats and mice both are omnivorous animals however brown rat and house mouse eat cereals while the black rats often go for fruits and foods having high moisture content.

Mouse poison and their ingredients.

Poison is the first method most people opt for when looking for a way to eliminate the critters from their house. However effective these poisons may be there is always a danger of other animals also getting affected from the same. Apart from that if the mouse dies at a location which is difficult to trace then by the time it is removed the stench becomes unbearable. Four ingredients which are commonly present in even the poisons are anticoagulants, cholecalciferol, bromethalin and phosphide rodenticides.

Rat poison

Rodenticides or rat poison are mostly pest control chemicals which are sold with the purpose of eliminating rats. Phosphides and anticoagulants are the main ingredients in any rat poison and phosphides are used because their results are seen quickly. Some countries also opt for anticoagulant, vitamin D, and antibiotic combination to get rid of the rats. When the the traps fails to give adequate results using this mixture even in small potency is capable of generating satisfactory results.

Duration of effect of poison

Most rat poisons when consumed start showing their effect in a matter of few hours. However, it takes normally 2 to 3 days before the rodent actually dies because of the impact of the poison. It is, therefore, necessary that the poison mixed with the bait should be kept at multiple points in the area infested with the mice.

The most common type of rat poisons available affects the brain, blood, and kidney of the rodent hence leading to its death. Poisons affecting blood cause the animal to bleed after indigestion but for humans it takes up to 3-5 days to show its effect. The brain affecting ones cause seizures and weakness while the kidney one causes kidney failures within a day of intake.

Normally the droppings of rat give a fair idea of the extent of the infestation. On the basis of the same, you can plant the poison at appropriate locations. However, make sure that your other pets are kept away from that area and even family members are informed of the same in advance. This is to avoid any untoward incident due to ingesting of rat poison accidently.

Using rat poison to get rid of rodents may not be as much a favorable mode of extermination as traps but most people still use it. However while removing the rodent you have to ensure adequate precautions are taken care of else there are chances of you catching viral infections.

5/5 (1)

Please rate this

Douglas Brooks
 

An avid blogger Douglas Brooks is extremely fond of living his life on the edge. A major believer in the adventure associated with hunting he likes to put all his experiences on paper. Quite passionate about the outdoors and the wild he loves to inform people about the problems he had to face and suggest ways to overcome them.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments